I love the fun inclusive atmosphere! It is a great feeling to be able to work with those who have very diverse backgrounds and bring such a bright energy to RecWell!
- Page S., Cycle Instructor
Recreation and Well-Being is a large and fast paced department, delivering many different types of programs and services. As a department within the Division of Student Affairs, RecWell serves all VCU students, as well as faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the local community.
Student employment at RecWell begins with one of our entry-level positions. Please review the job descriptions below. If a position is open, there will be a link to VCU Handshake and the job number listed.
Who we are looking for
Our student staff is an important component in helping us fulfill and achieve our mission. In return, RecWell provides student employees with valuable work experiences at a fair wage.
We are looking for enthusiastic, hard-working VCU students who enjoy interacting with our members in a positive way. We employ approximately 400 students each year in a variety of different positions.
We priority hire and schedule students who are eligible for Federal Work-Study.
Develop skills you can use in your future career
As an educational institution, VCU strives to provide experiential learning opportunities for all students. We believe it is important to provide students with employment that supplements formal education by developing career-ready transferable skills.
RecWell student employees have the opportunity to advance in their work area, attaining additional levels of responsibility, skill development, and leadership.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities developed through employment at RecWell:
- Work collaboratively, as part of a diverse team
- Communicate respectfully and effectively by expressing yourself with clarity
- Utilize critical thinking skills to make effective and timely decisions
- Provide quality service to members and guests by responding quickly and respectfully to questions and concerns
- Set priorities and allocate time efficiently in order to meet deadlines
- Respect for cultural diversity through personal interactions with members, co-workers, and supervisors
- Manage and resolve conflicts
- Effective peer leadership skills
Opportunities for student development include:
- Advanced leadership opportunities
- Certifications - FA/CPR/AED classes are provided for all employees at no cost. Employees are also eligible for discounted specialty certifications classes with approval from the corresponding Assistant Director
- Professional development, such as the opportunity to apply to attend work-related conferences and workshops
- Employee recognition events
- Community service opportunities
Join our lifeguard team! We are currently hiring certified and non-certified lifeguards. Lifeguards are responsible for ensuring the safety of patrons by preventing and responding to emergencies in and around the pool.
All applicants must apply on VCU Handshake prior to tryouts and be an American Red Cross certified Lifeguard. Search for job #6736102. Certified lifeguards should apply via the same application and send a copy of their certification to Mat Scott.
Once the application is submitted, applicants MUST attend Lifeguard tryouts to be considered for employment.
Non-certified lifeguards are eligible to apply to be a lifeguard with Recreational Sports. Employment offers are contingent upon successfully completing an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course prior to beginning work. This course will be offered free of charge ($150 value) if the applicant agrees to work as a lifeguard for Recreational Sports for a minimum of 2 semesters.
Facility Operations Attendants are expected to provide quality customer service and ensure the safety of members, the facility and equipment, at all VCU Recreation and Well-Being Facilities. In this role, staff work at the Cary Street Gym, Cary Street Field.halhimer Tennis Center, and MCV Campus Recreation Center within the areas of member check-in, equipment check-out, fitness center, or a combination of the areas.
Group Exercise Instructors are responsible for creating a positive atmosphere and teaching safe and effective classes in accordance with industry standards. Classes are taught using a pre-arranged format of exercises designed to enhance overall fitness. The Group Exercise Instructor will also serve as a resource to educate members on various aspects of fitness.
- Must be currently certified by a nationally recognized fitness organization or possess a specialty certification:
- Nationally recognized fitness organizations include ACE, ACSM, NSCA, NASM
- Specialty certifications may include but are not limited to TRX, Yoga Alliance, Peak Pilates, Zumba, etc.
- You must have a sound knowledge of fitness and the ability to design class plans for a variety of groups.
- You must be available to work at Cary Street Gym and MCV Campus Recreation Center, weekends, mandatory staff meetings, and special events.
- You must be a current VCU student.
RecWell Health Promotion will begin recruiting new Peer Health Educators in Fall 2022. Please stay tuned for additional information.
Outdoor Adventure Program Attendants are responsible for check-in and checkout of climbing wall gear, OAP rental equipment, registration of participants for Outdoor Adventure Program activities, belaying of participants, instruction of Belay Clinics, and Climbing Clinics, willingness to enforce gym rules and regulation, and other duties as assigned. Basic wall cleaning and maintenance work is involved.
Requirements: Ability to lift at least 50 lbs, basic climbing and belaying skills, or the ability to learn these, willingness to work nights and weekends, and an open and welcoming attitude toward all potential users.
Intramural Sports Officials are responsible for officiating intramural sports including but not limited to: flag football, soccer, and basketball.
Requirements: Previous officiating/playing experience not necessary, but is helpful. Training is provided.